Friday, August 26, 2005

popularity

Sorry about the last entry, just so everyone knows and just in case people think I am infringing on copy right law or something, that song was written by Jonathan Steingard. I can't believe that I actually posted it, but it really represents how I've been feeling lately.

Well... since returning from India, I've decided to keep up with blogging. Why? I don't fully know yet. For some reason I have a funny feeling that I'll be travelling again soon, which will mean that I should definitely blog. But, for now, I am unsure what to write. I guess I could write about what I am thinking. Hmm.... at this very moment I'm thinking about a conversation I had with Mena the other day(i love that woman!!). We chatted about popularity, especially popularity within christian circles.

Popularity, what a deception!

I have come to realize that this one thing has been my goal throughout my childhood and adolescence and still manages to tempt me even as an adult. It's such an illusion! As we chatted I thought back to high school and the girls who were popular. Who were they really? I knew that a lot of these girls had sex in high school, which isn't bad, but I suspect they had a lot of sex, with different guys. Now, I am sure I'm being presumptuous but I really think popularity is an exchange. It's really just someone giving something in return for friendship. Are these frienships real and authentic? They might be, but for the most part, I have a feeling they are shallow. Why would someone want friends who only want them for sex or money or whatever else they're offering. It makes it seem like the person has no value. How sad. Imagine, the people who you thought were the most desireable, who you felt were so lucky, may have had no self worth.

As I sit here and reflect on my teenage years, I really don't long to be popular anymore. This is so satisfying yet so disappointing. What a waste of time! Just think of all the hours I spent comparing myself to others; all the potential friendships I avoided; the simple joy of just revelling in the knowledege of being myself - all wasted on the ideals of something, which doesn't naturally exist. I never want to aspire to those things again.

When you notice social dynamics, which everyone ultimately does, ask yourself, "why are people attracted to this person?" Is it because they're authentic and real? Are you attracted to them because they are in love with Jesus and they are pursuing righteousness? What is their appeal? Upon closer inspection, you may observe that this person, is quite unsafe, and in fact, they are the opposite of what you are aspiring to become. If anything, they need a holy revelation from God about their true identity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rachel said...

I totally empathize! I worked so hard in high school to fit in, and am slowly learning that people like me because I stand out. Weird. So much wasted agony over so many years.

Followers

About Me

I'm a recent university graduate who is attempting to figure out where life will take her. Not sure yet, but hopefully it will be interesting and exciting.