Wednesday, July 27, 2005

laah-vo-lee

I just finished seeing the Taj Mahal and I must say, I am impressed. I still can't believe I actually saw it, touched it and smelled it. It seems so surreal. Since leaving Kolkata this whole country seems like a dream. It's so beautiful and magical. I wish I could write more eloquently to describe what I have seen. I will have to post some pictures when I have some more time, maybe in Norwich.

We left Tuesday from Varanassi and took an overnight train to Agra. From there Elissa, Ana (a Dutch girl we met) and I travelled to Fatehpur Sikri, just an hour away. I have never seen such a beautiful place. It's this ancient city on a hill, which overlooks meadows and fields for miles and miles. There is this giant sandstone mosque at the top, which is an exact replica of the mosque at Mecca. Surrounding the mosque is a palace which housed Emperor Akbar and his three wives. Most of the ancient city is in ruins but the palace is completely intact and gorgeous. I took so many pictures.

Later on that night we were entertained by the manager/owner of our hotel. It was uh, quite interesting. He had hired a man to play the drums and was singing all these songs in Hindi and then attempting to translate them. It was so hilarious. He was making us get up and dance and telling us that he loved us. I thought he was being so welcoming (in a weird way) but soon discovered that he was intoxicated. I wish I had known this prior to getting up and dancing with him. He was all over me and Ana. He actually hit on her and asked her to come over to his room later. We were all completely shocked and totally grossed out.

This morning we left Fatehpur and came into Agra on a bus. It was a loud ride. Everything in India is loud; their cars, their horns, their cows. After arriving at our hotel, we went up to the roof and from there we could see the Taj. It's so beautiful. Our plans for tonight are to sit on the roof top patio and have dinner and drinks and watch the sun set over that amazing monument. It's going to be great! I can't wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the book, fifth mountain --> which you left behind on your desk, takes place (i believe in this city that you were recently visiting.. with the temple from empororer akbar,if you can get yourself a copy of this book in india, it will be way cheaper than here.. (you can also read my copy when you get back if you like)i think you might appreciate the descriptions of this city from paulo coehlos perspective.
ttys

Followers

About Me

I'm a recent university graduate who is attempting to figure out where life will take her. Not sure yet, but hopefully it will be interesting and exciting.