Saturday, July 09, 2005

personal revelation

The more I'm in Kolkata, the more I realize that this trip was about God changing me. In some ways I feel so self-centered about that, but in other ways I am so glad. Since my last post I have had a revelation from God. On Thursday, my day off, I was quite upset. I didn't end up doing the things that I had wanted to do. I felt like I had so little time in Kolkata and all I did was rest. I wanted to see so much of the city and was quite pissed off when I discovered that some of my teamates had gone to see the Victoria Memorial without me. I was full of anger and resentment. Now, these feelings of anger do not stem completely from my upset over my day off, but from other things in my life. I was angry about my wasted day, but also angry about broken friendships, about my lack of self- esteem and my constant self-analysis and comparisons. I knew God had been calling me to chat with him about these things, but in my business of volunteering, I had not really made any time to spend with Jesus. Finally, at the end of the day, after I could hardly contain my anger and upset, I went up to the roof of the Astoria and unloaded. It felt so good to cry. Sometimes all I want is for God to take away everything I'm feeling and the other night, he did. He let me unload and gave me some long needed relief. After I had finished, God told me something really important about myself. He told me that I had nothing to feel ashamed or guilty about. For the longest time I have felt so insecure about who I am and so ashamed of myself. I have spent countless hours comparing myself to other people and admiring their good qualities that I completely forgot about my own. So basically, on the roof of a hotel in polluted Kolkata, God told me that I was okay. The only thing I should feel badly about are my sins, which he convicts me of and takes away. Whatever guilt or shame I feel are lies. I could not believe how good it felt to know this. For the first time I no longer have the need to question myself or analyze who I am. I can just be me and not worry.

This to me was a huge deal. It means that I can finally concentrate on others things rather than worry about me and what others think. I have more time to focus on what's important to God and what he wants. Finally, I have some much needed clarity and reassurance. You might even call it sincere confidence. I wonder how many of us are caught up in this cycle of shame and guilt. It's really amazing for God to reveal this to me in India because it seems like such a Western or North American issue. Here the problem is so basic, it's one of survival; food, shelter, water and safety. I don't know what God is going to do with me here or what he is trying to show me, but now, I actually have the time and focus to figure it out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jo -- I totally relate about the comparisons thing. The more I compare myself to others the worse I usually feel about myself.

Funny. I, too, had a breakdown the other day. If you know me, this is completely unlike me. But it was awesome to get stuff out and after days sleeping in cars, on air mattresses, nasty hostel beds, couches, in tents, I was pretty tired. But pretty honest too.

Glad to hear you're learning lots this trip!

Anonymous said...

Johanna,

On a three-week trip to India, you are going to get more out of the trip than you'll be able to give to those you're serving.

What you experienced on the roof of Astoria, God telling you that you're OK ... I have experienced that here on more than one occasion.

God is our Father, and we need his affirmation just as we need our earthly fathers' affirmations.

Sometimes I think I'm the only person at church who feels the way I feel. Thanks for sharing so candidly your own struggles.

Keep safe,

Tom

Anonymous said...

johanna!
i miss you sooo much..
i have sent you an email.. pls check when you get time..
i also relate to alot of what you are saying in mostly all your posts.. i cant wait until you get home so we can have more nights on the couch chatting away, when we should be sleeping..

i hope you are well.. and say hi to everyone for me..
:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Johanna Banana,

Glad to hear you are alright. I am happy that you are discovering all the wonderful qualities about yourself the rest of us already knew you had. I am sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you before you left. I miss you lots and wish I was travelling along with you. Travel really tends to put many things into perspective about both yourself and others. And it changes you in ways only other travellers can really understand. I envy the experience you are having in India and wish I could put myself out there as much as you have. You really stepped WAY outta your box! Don't forget to savour every experience you have, good or bad. Feel it. Have you noticed sometimes there is a texture to it? It becomes you.

Love you.

Hugs and kisses.

Cat-a-ma-alaska-rocks...

Followers

About Me

I'm a recent university graduate who is attempting to figure out where life will take her. Not sure yet, but hopefully it will be interesting and exciting.